ABN 82 104
P.O. Box 7016
|The F L Yott Reserve,
Click on a photo to enlarge it, or on a blue hyperlink of interest.
The F L Yott Reserve is a Bayside City Council reserve that covers the block of land bounded by Bodley Street, Tramway Parade, Martin Street and Dalgetty Road, Beaumaris, except for the westernmost seventh of that land that the Anglican Church has owned since 1914.
It was named after Cr Frederick Louis Yott, a councillor of the former City of Sandringham from 1935 to 1950, and the Mayor for two of those fifteen years.
The Reserve's Tramway Parade frontage was the site of the former Beaumaris Hall, which was the original building of the Beaumaris Primary School in 1915. During World War II, a public air raid shelter of roofed trenches was at the south-east corner, where 6 tennis courts are now.
It is not one of Bayside City Council's Bushland Reserves. None of it has a VPO2 Vegetation Protection Overlay, but it all has a VPO3 Vegetation Protection Overlay.
The Reserve is zoned Public Park and Recreation under the Bayside Planning Scheme, but nearly all of its 2.4 hectares is fenced off from general public access, as the existing land uses, which cover nearly all of the Reserve, predated the Bayside Planning Scheme. Those land uses include:
The surface of the sealed laneway is extremely degraded. Using so much of the land area of the reserve for an unnecessary black bitumen laneway seems undesirable. A better use, and one that is possibly less expensive than resurfacing that unsightly laneway, would be to replace it with a buffer area from the Bowls Club consisting of a paved path for pedestrians, cyclists and mobility scooters, alongside a strip of land planted with bush to extend the bushland area east to make the existing 10-metre wide bushland strip more viable.
The laneway is 5.5 metres wide and 57 metres from Bodley Street to the southern fence of the bowling greens. A wide access gate to the greens can be seen at its southernmost 13 metres, so only the northernmost 44 metres might be available for the conversion suggested above.
BUSHLAND: This contains the only Manna Gums (Eucalyptus pryoriana) left on the Reserve. Two are large and healthy, but the biggest one is dead, and should be replaced. There is also a Sweet Bursaria (Bursaria spinosa) and several Acacias (probably Acacia implexa). The remaining bushland is Coast Tea Tree (Leptospermum laevigatum) and Seaberry Saltbush (Rhagodia baccata).
The northernmost two-thirds of the above 10-metre wide north-south strip of land is nearly all indigenous bushland, but it is not well cared for. The southernmost third of the strip is mostly mown grass. In addition to mounds of soil that children building bicycle riding humps alongside the eastern fence of the Guides and Scouts lease have created, piles of lawn clippings and other rubbish are often illegally dumped next to the Sea Scouts' lawn, and rank grass has been allowed to invade the bushland strip. A fine Manna Gum on the Sea Scouts' lawn died early this century, but it seems that no effort has been made to replace it.
Most trees on the rest of the Reserve are native trees, but few are indigenous. Two coastal tea trees, just south of the Bowls Club house, appear on the Register of Significant Trees of the National Trust of Australia. There are also Coastal Tea Trees and a fine Drooping Sheoak (Allocasuarina verticillata) just south of the Guide hall.