Charles Hotson Ebden
below of a marble tablet, which can be accessed by
clicking on it, records the first owner of Black
Rock House, Charles
Hotson Ebden, as being one of the three
trustees of the Melbourne
Benevolent Asylum, The Asylum was relocated
to Cheltenham, and later renamed the Kingston
Centre, whose original 1910 foyer continues
to house that tablet. A donation by Prince
Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, is also listed.
Mr Ebden was elected, before 1851, to represent the Port Phillip District in the New South Wales Legislative Council, and later served in each house of the Victorian Parliament. He built Black Rock House on a 38-acre Crown grant - bounded by the present Central Avenue, Beach Road, and Balcombe Road - originally made to F G Dalgety, whose larger holding in Beaumaris is commemorated by Dalgetty (sic) Road there.
Ebden entry on the Friends of
Black Rock House Inc. website